Cross Column

Avodah - chinuch - hadracha - ezer kenegdo

5.24.2007

Our Home Education Routine

Candy has spurred us on to share today our routines for Home Education. Thanks for the reminder, I had been wanting to for a while now.

I am still in Speech (bleck) class until next Friday and we have a speech due every other day...so I, the educator, amd pretty occupied as is. So this week and next may not be as full of daily lessons as they could be but we educate year round and so we should be able to stay on target.

This is what we have been sticking to since January


Art will be at the library and at the table during read aloud time.

Music will be kid songs, radio, church, etc.

Poetry = Poems and Prayers for the Very Young and Rosetti's Poems.

PE will be gymnastics, open gym, and park days.


M-F as much time as needed or can be withstood if you have a “wiggly” like mine.

Start with Prayer and Scripture reading (be it a devotion book, memory verses, chapter from the KJV, etc.) And review memory verses (from Awana's in our home)

Review the Pledges (US Flag, Awana Flag, Christian Flag, Bible, and we did Ray Boltz I pledge allegiance to the Lamb also)

Move onto Phonics – we use Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons… and May is almost over and we are just a little over half way through…(if your child is not ready for this, it can wait til Year 1 and just continue working on letter sounds via games, etc.)

Next Math – DS loved to use the MCP K workbook….we used crayon to make it more fun. Again May is almost over and we are just about half way through this book.

Followed by Copy Work – We are using a Winnie the Pooh K4 level learn to write the ABC’s book and then will move to Hearts and Hands by Christian Liberty Press and then down the road use things from Donna Young’s site and then finally just straight copy from Bible and/or good books. I want to allow my son the slow pace he needs to correctly form his letters before having him looking all over the place to remember where he left off, and yes I know you can type it at top and leave space at the bottom…still have to take eyes off current task and then re-focus. DS is still rusty with forming letters so more time spent there now and just a letter a day will help.

By now we have been working only about 30-45 minutes. If we timed this right it should be lunch time….so break for lunch. And have some music playing in the background.

After lunch we would work on a few Foreign Language object words…we only had Spanish flashcards so we do have leche (milk), pescado (fish) and gato (cat) down pat….I am not concerned, after reading Volume 1 by Charlotte Mason, I am convinced that we should learn French instead and plan to use it in Year 1…and find some songs in French also…DS loves the music to Alouette. Also DH’s mom is from Germany and we told her we wouldn’t mind if she spoke in German around DS so he could pick some up. And another goal is to all learn some sign language as well.

All that is left, is a literature read aloud, a historical read aloud, and a nature/science read aloud. During this time I let DS color or paint or play with playdough or legos.

Hope you have enjoyed reading about the order of Home Education tasks we follow in our home. I agree this is just a small glimpse of what happens during our day (and with my being in class from 9am-1pm M-F, we don't necessarily educate at the same time every day) - remember I too have to keep a log of where we are, where we need to go/be, and to log what we have done and the time spent, because in our state of MO we have to log 1000 hours of school work a year and keep a portfolio.

No comments: