Cross Column

Avodah - chinuch - hadracha - ezer kenegdo

4.22.2008

Took Another Lap Around the Mountain

***note the following post is a result of a class session with J.B. who on 4/6/08 read
James 3:1 My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation. and promptly said "I quit". ***


Back in november I wrestled with having a weblog. IS it like idle words?

Matthew 12:35-37
A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.


Lashon Hara or the evil tongue is hooked to the heart -- and most likely by passes the brain or just blurts anything out.

James 3:8-9
But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God


There is a whole book written covering this topic. And that's good because I was beginning to think I'll never be able to talk again...why would I risk speaking evil. (you can read some free lessons based on it here...I have not browsed through so use your Messiah filter if need be)

It's also said it is worse to listen to someone speaking evil or ill of someone else than to be the one saying the ill. So when you're on the phone with someone and they start speaking ill you say "something has come up I need to hang up" when they ask what you reply "lashon hara" and hang up the phone.

A lady in my Intro to Jewish Roots class said one thing she finds helps to stop the ill speech is to say "you seem to have so and so in your heart right now, let's pray for them." and she finds after they pray for so and so that the person who wanted to "gossip" usually goes away after that and/or the subject is changed.

Psalm 34:13
Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking guile.

What a good lesson to ponder during the Feast of Unleavened Bread and as we continue to count the omer and be prepared to celebrate Shavuot when we received the Torah and the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

I'm off to ponder and change.

Proverbs 17:27-28
He that hath knowledge spareth his words: and a man of understanding is of an excellent spirit.
Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.

1 comment:

6intow said...

Very challenging thoughts and verses, especially thought provoking in light of blogging, as you said. It is so easy to type aimlessly, without much caution. Thank you for the reminder to not speak (or blog) too many words.

~Erin