This morning I decided to try some coconut flour pancakes.
((updated 5.3.07 at 1:40pm CST to say I bought the coconut flour at a health food store but it is by Bob's Red Mill - the same brand of "natural" flour Hyvee carries in their naturals section...although today I went to Hyvee to get groceries and they had just about every type of flour but coconut. I have heard though that if you ask a store to stock something, they will try. Plus this flour can be ordered online...and the health food store is quite a drive so if Hyvee can't stock it, I may order it and have it delivered...you can get bigger bags online, the Bob's Red Mill kind only comes in 1 pound packages.))
Coconut flour is low carb, high fiber, and baking with it can be gluten free, wheat free, and yeast free. All my goals in a flour.
They are more egg than anything else and since I despise the taste of eggs, but in a pancake form with real maple syrup on top...not too bad...was a bit weird the first few bites - as all new foods can be. But I am over it now and have 2 healthy carb breakfast foods I can have with my turkey sausage.
Coconut flour pancakes and overnight soaked old fashioned oatmeal.
Here's how I made the pancakes:
combined room temperature ingredients - 2 eggs, 1/8 tsp salt, 2 Tbs coconut oil, 2 Tbs unsweetened coconut milk, 1 tsp sugar. Sifted 2 Tbs coconut flour and 1/8 tsp baking powder into mixture and combined. Cook on buttered or oiled heated skillet like regular pancakes.
You could add dry blueberries and yes, the batter is thick but thins some while cooking.
The above gave me about 2.5 small skillet sized pancakes...my mom only ever made skillet sized pancakes - but I'm talking the skillet you scramble hamburger in size...so I use the smaller skillet to get better sized pancakes.
Here's how I soak my oats.
1/2 cup dried oats - not instant
1/2-3/4 cup room temp filtered water
3/4 Tbs lemon juice
in a pan wih lid overnight on stovetop.
Next morning heat them up with a dash of salt w/o lid til start to bubble and then turn off heat and cover and let sit about 5 minutes. Mix in real butter and place in bowl with 100% maple syrup to tastebuds liking.
I also cook my sausage while I cook everything else. I had made the homemade turkey sausage but I made too much, so this time I am going to see if there is some already made at the store- not precooked and shock full of preservatives- and if there is no good one out there, then I will have to make it again but make less.
My friend told me to cook it up ahead of time and just reheat so my breakfast cooks faster because I have to take candida destroyers when I first wake up - as a preventative not because I am infected- and I have to wait an hour before I can eat....a girl gets very hungry by then. I also take these destroyers at night and since I have to wait til it's been 2 hours since I've eaten and can't have anything after, it is a way to stop eating too late and snacking.
1 comment:
They sound yummy! Where did you get the coconut flour from? I have never seen or even heard of anything like that before.
Have you ever considered shakes for breakfast...you can add raw egg to them and the taste will be totally covered by teh fruit. Here's one of my favorite recipes from the coconut diet book:
1/2 cup plain yogurt (preferably whole milk organic, can be flavored, like vanilla)
1 banana, cut into 2 pieces
2 egg yolks - raw/organic
2 tablespoons Virgin Coconut Oil (melted)
2 tablespoons Flaxseeds (ground)
crushed ice (optional)
Put yogurt, banana, egg yolk, flaxseeds and coconut oil in a blender. Blend it at medium speed. Put crushed ice in and blend again. Good for 2 servings.
And here's a low carb one, it's good too!
10-12 ice cubes
1 can coconut milk, or two portions homemade coconut milk
1-2 tablespoons protein powder (preferrably from goat's milk)
1 tablespoon Virgin coconut oil
1 tablespoon flax seeds ground
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 teaspoon stevia powder
Place all ingredients in a blender and process at high speed until well combined. You may are more or less ice, depending on how cold you like a smoothie.
Post a Comment