Cross Column

Avodah - chinuch - hadracha - ezer kenegdo

7.26.2007

SAHM vs WOtHM or the great debate

So earlier, I was at my sister's using the tread climber and I was telling her I knew a lady who got up at 6 am after having gone to bed at midnight and puts on her exercise clothes to work out before getting cleaned up and waking and feeding the rest of her household.

My sister asks, "Does this lady go to work?"

I replied that she does keep a full day at home with a hubby and 2 boys. My sister says that is not the same. So I asked, "Do you really believe that working outside the home is harder than inside the home?"

She said, "Yes, because you have to leave the home and this lady may put all this stuff as her daily schedule but yeah right she is able to sit down at any time and take a break."

My rebuttal would be that sure you can take a break at home...but if you have an office job, you sit on your butt all day....sure you have to type and answer the phone but still not that difficult. Now if you have a factory or standing job, then yes I could see that as being harder. To me the hardest thing about being a work outside the home mom is the to and from work rush shuffle.... and missing your child and wondering how he is and what he is doing and if he is missing you as much as you are missing him and missing out on those moments of his life just for a paycheck - and yes there are situations that warrant a mom working outside the home so I am not saying that is wrong - but if you are able to stay home and have that choice, then be sure and make the best one.

Not to mention either before work or after work all the housework still needs to be tended to. Sure the Proverbs 31 woman burned the candle at both ends, but she attended to wife and mom duties first then went beyond that. But when a mom who doesn't have to work outside the home, chooses to do this anyway...you know the job gets the best part of her....the kids may get lots of stuff because she feels guilty for not spending enough time with them and she still bears the brunt of the housework. Now that is a dumb way to burn the candle at both ends.

I know a gal with a condition abbreviated as MS and she has 3 kids. She stays home with the 2 youngest and did homeschool the oldest for K but sent him to the Christian school where they attend church for 1st grade because with the 2 younger running around and her condition she couldn't handle it and it takes a big girl to admit that so good for her. Anyhow, she said once she subbed for the church secretary while her mom watched the 2 youngest children. She said that a day spent in an office was like a vacation for her....so much easier than running around after 2 little children all day...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People always ask me what I do all day, trust me even without kids I am busy I am doing the work the LORD planned for me!